Art at the Cathedral



The painting of The Crucifixion by a Spanish artist Yzquierda (1873) was purchased by Bishop Spalding.  The picture measuring 7x5 feet hung originally in the old St. Mary’s Cathedral.  In 1888, just a few months before completion of the new cathedral, it was transferred there and installed above the main altar. 

Bishop Schlarman had the painting thoroughly restored in 1938 by Gottfried Schiller.  In 1953, Bishop Cousins replaced the image with a hand-carved wooden crucifix, while the painting was rolled up in a storage room.  During Bishop O’Rourke’s Cathedral renovation in 1986, this remarkable painting was re-installed in a new frame back to the main altar.

Our Lady of Perpetual Help


The Stations of the Cross



Pictures below of the stations at the Cathedral taken by Timothy & Julia Robinson 

First Station - Jesus is Condemned To Death by Pilate



Second Station - Jesus Accepts His Cross


Third Station - Jesus Falls for the First Time


Fourth Station - Jesus Meets His Blessed Mother


Fifth Station - Simon Helps Jesus to Carry His Cross


Sixth Station - Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus


Seventh Station - Jesus Falls for the Second Time

Eighth Station - Jesus Comforts the Women of Jerusalem

Ninth Station - Jesus Falls for the Third Time

Tenth Station - Jesus is Stripped of His Garments

Eleventh Station - Jesus is Nailed to the Cross

Twelfth Station - Jesus Dies on the Cross

Thirteenth Station - Jesus is Taken Down From the Cross

Fourteenth Station - Jesus is Buried in the Tomb